CrossFit Seminar Staff member James Hobart demonstrates the Dumbbell Press. Using dumbells for any overhead movement creates an element of instability and forces each arm to work independently. With the barbell, the stronger arm can sometimes compensate for the weaker arm and so varying your style of weights can help to address this.
In this movement, just like with the barbell Shoulder Press, it is important to keep the core tight and active to stop the spine from overextending.
Points Of Performance
- Stand on feet with hip-width apart
- Dumbbells rest on the shoulders
- Elbows slightly in front of the body in level with the shoulders
- Dumbbells move over the middle of both feet
- Torso and legs remain static
- Heels down
- Shoulders push up into the dumbbells
- Complete at full arm extension